Monday, March 31, 2008

Starbucks

A few years back, it was only once or twice a year did I visit a Starbucks, mainly because I didn't drink coffee. And in the few times I did, I ordered my usual classic iced chocolate drink and went into one of my out-of-proportion fits, seeing those people, students apparently, studying amidst the coffee-slurping, english-spewing, idiots Starbucks calls their parokyanos.

"Pa'no naman sila nakakapag-aral nang ganyan? Eh ang ingay? Ako, hinding-hindi ako makakapag-aral in a place like this…"


That was, again, a few years ago. Since then my little statement has turned out to be a hypocritical one.

I don't drink coffee. But I study at Starbucks.

Not only am I a Starbucks parokyano now, I also frequent it to find a good place to *cough* study. And I still don't like coffee. Hehehehe. My own little complex irony, right?





But during my study breaks, I head back to my pathological habit of people watching. This habit I think I acquired from four years of being a kulasa. Hanging out at some in-school tambayan, waiting for other students to pass by, and riling ourselves up in making pintas all those other girls. It was fun and I have since been addicted to it. And Starbucks is just the place to satisfy my addiction. A place that has proven itself to be a haven for people like me, who loves to people-watch, criticize, eavesdrop, and tick ourselves off.

It is always packed with different people, both genuine and genuinely fake, as if intentionally calling my pintasera prowess (it's not so much as being pintasera so much as it's simply being observant, hehehe). Of course, I spend an unreasonable, unadulterated time, pondering on the creatures I watch and their so-called life, as they tell it on Starbucks Channel.






Starbucks. So many people...so little time...for me to watch and "observe" them all.

No comments: