Monday, March 31, 2008

An Away (ǽ-wai) a Day Keeps the Doctor Away

Title being such, it was coined by myself and a couple of officemates to describe the somewhat "odd", to say the least, behavior I have developed during this busy season.

I work in an audit firm. What we call our "busy season" is actually the period right after December 31, approaching April 15, the BIR deadline for filing corporate tax returns. I think it is of an auditor's best interest to put this following tidbit out into the open. Our busy season, in the audit firm I work for, at least, calls for unreasonable overtime hours. Normal eight-to-five employees work over time, I think for two to four hours more after five. Not us. We work a minimum of five hours after five and would go as long as ten, twelve, fifteen…the office AC turns off at night and is turned on again the next day, with our worn-out selves still tinkering with our little calculators in our cramped up workspace. The sunrise sneaks up on us every morning, giving us an alarming reminder that we've spent the whole night working yet we still are not done.

These circumstances, coupled with the diverse personalities I have had to contend with the past months have transformed me to this…an irritable, discontented, war-freak, bungangera. Thus the title. Rarely has a day passed where I didn't have a confrontation of some sort. Palagi akong may inaaway. At some point, I did declare that antagonizing somebody made me high. But now, I admit that being this person has been really tiring.

Maybe I couldn't help but be this way. Anyway, I have always known myself to make a big deal of every little thing. A friend once asked me, somewhat insultingly, how I find time to burden myself with things so petty.

Of course, I looked at myself and found out that, I really do exert more effort than expected in wallowing in how people irritate me: from my friends' complete lack of sense of time to a complete stranger's idiotic fashion choice. I ramble on and on. I rant endlessly. Honestly, I do realize that I don't have to do that. That it's just a waste of time. But, you know, I can't help it. It makes me high? I do it anyway.

This blog is dedicated to my over-dedication to other people's business. It is an attempt to help me vent out excess angst. In the end, I hope I won't need an away (or the Tagalog word for "fight") a day to keep my doctor away anymore.

Join me in my misadventures. Let's whallow in the hilarity of other people's stories, from my standpoint, that is.

No comments: